WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
PROTECTING THOSE 1,000-PLUS ACRES HAS HELPED TO:
|Reduce traffic, congestion, and high-density development|
|Conserve the natural beauty that makes St. Simons where we want to live, work, and play|
|Retain a high quality of life for all|
BUT THERE IS STILL MUCH WORK TO BE DONE.
PROTECTING & MAINTAINING WILDERNESS AREAS
THE LAND TRUST HAS IDENTIFIED TWO OF THE LAST REMAINING LARGE TRACTS ON ST. SIMONS:
- Sinclair Property: 39-acre tract on the east side of Lawrence Rd. with nearly 100 lot entitlements
- Middle Oatland/Hasell Property: 40.7-acre tract that serves as the keystone between the north and south parcels of the former Oatland Plantation. Once purchased, these three properties, combined with Cannon’s Point Preserve, will result in 720 contiguous acres protected in perpetuity.
Your support in securing these undeveloped tracts will help complete the island’s protected “wilderness corridor.”
WHAT IT WILL TAKE
$5.5 MILLION CANOPY CAPITAL CAMPAIGN PROVIDES:
- Acquisition of 39 acres at Sinclair
- Completion of the Oatland/Hasell acquisitions totaling 111 acres
- Perpetual Land Management Fund that ensures protection forever
Path to Success
Please consider joining the community-wide effort to preserve the magnificent beauty of St. Simons. Each protected acre is a gift to the community, and each gift from the community is greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions or would like to speak with someone regarding the Campaign, please call Emily Ellison at (912) 638-9109.
Contributions can be mailed to PO Box 24615, St. Simons Island, GA 31522 or online by clicking the button below.